How important is the Opt-In List is to your home business. In my article, “14 Ways To Persuade Your Web Site Visitors To Give You Their Email Address”, I gave outline 14 ways to get your visitors to part with their email address so you can build your list.
You now know how to get your visitor to “Opt-In” to your list.
Now your probably asking yourself, But how do I get these potential customers to my web site in the first place?
After all, it doesn’t matter what your offering the visitor in exchange for their contact information, if you can’t get them to your web site they are not going to sign up for your newsletter, report, ebook or whatever.
So here are 10 high powered ways, I use, to increase traffic to my web site. Try some or all of these ideas and you will see your list grow steadily.
1. Trade links with other web sites. They should be related to the subject of your web site. Instead of trading links, you could also trade banner ads, half page ads, classified ads, etc.
2. Start an e-zine for your web site. When people read each issue they’ll be reminded to revisit your web site. They’ll see your product ad more than just once which will increase your orders.
3. Form an online community. It could be an online message board, e-mail discussion list or chat room. When people get involved in your community they will regularly return to communicate with others.
4. Write articles and submit them to e-zines, web sites and magazines that accept article submissions. Include your business information and web address at the end of the article.
5. Give away an electronic freebie with your ad on it. Allow your visitors to also give the freebie away. This’ll increase your ad exposure and attract people to your web site at the same time.
6. Combine your products or services into one big package deal with other businesses offerings. You could share a web site and advertise the package deal; which means double the traffic.
7. Submit your freebie to the online directories that list your particular item or service for free. If you’re offering a free e-zine, submit it to all the free e-zine directories on the Internet.
8. Participate on message boards. Post answers to other people’s questions, ask questions and post appropriate information. Include your signature file at the end of all your postings.
9. Exchange classified or sponsor ads with other free e-zine publishers. If there is a huge subscriber difference between e-zines, one can run more ads to make up for it.
10. Post your ad on free advertising areas on the Internet. You can post it on free classified ad sites, free for all links sites, newsgroups that allow ads, free yellow page directories, etc.
Remember, this is not going to happen overnight. It will take time to grow a list of people who trust you and want to buy from you.
Just a word of caution, to those of you who are impatient. You will notice I don’t mention purchasing a list of leads. The reason I don’t is, in my experience, lists of leads are for the most part not worth the investment of money and time.
Most lists that are for sale come from rather unscrupulous vendors who scan the net harvesting the email addresses with robots and by other means.
A good portion of the email addresses will probably be old or not deliverable. So the good deal you got purchasing 1 million leads for $20, will not yield anywhere near that number of deliveries, let alone click through and will result in a very low ROI (return on investment) which is really what you want to achieve.
Most of the time these people did not “opt-in” to the list by their own choice and therefore, if you send them any email you will be guilty of spamming them.
Now let me Clarify something. Not all vendors are unscrupulous. Some companies are legitimate and their lists are good and up-to-date. They usually sell lists by demographic niche. But these lists are usually rented (not sold) and can be rather costly because of all the legitimate work that goes into compiling the lists.
In conclusion, unless you have sufficient money in your advertising budget to get a large list of leads from a reputable vendor, stay away from lead lists. In the long run, even with a purchased list, you still have to get them to your site and have them purchase from you.
This still takes time and effort!